Inductees are born in or have spent a considerable part of their formative years in Mississauga or have made an outstanding contribution to life in Mississauga. They are accomplished in many walks of life. Behind every plaque on Legends Row is an individual whose talents and accomplishments have deeply enriched our community in some manner.
This permanent public space will demonstrate to our city and its people that these recipients are, or were, special citizens. They are role models for all of us, particularly our youth. They inspire us through their achievements and challenge us to make our own contribution, in our own way, to creating a better Mississauga.
Each year, our city will celebrate the achievements of several eminent Mississaugans, past and present, in the categories of:
- Arts and Culture
- Entertainment and Media
- Public Service
- Business, Innovation and Science
- Community Builders/Leaders
- and Philanthropy
Mississauga Legends Row Inductees are selected annually. The following criteria is considered during the selection process:
- The Nominee will have demonstrated examples of community pride;
- The Nominee will have demonstrated examples of positively contributing to life in Mississauga;
- The Nominee will have demonstrated involvement with the youth of our city in a positive, inspirational manner while showing leadership in that process;
- Legends Row honours may be awarded posthumously;
- Nominees must be at least 18 years of age at the time of nomination;
- Self nominations will not be considered;
- Sitting federal, provincial, regional or municipal politicians are not eligible until after retirement;
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years;
- The number of annual inductees per year will be based on the applications received. The final selection does not require a specific number each year;
- It is not a requirement that every category be represented each and every year;
- Any category may have more than one recipient if the selection committee deems this appropriate.